In the recent years, an old good resume statement has slowly gone out of trend. A professional summary, or a summary statement, is what has replaced it now. If it is hard for you to understand what we are talking about so far, we will shed light on some details. A professional summary is also called “competencies” or “summary of qualifications” and is includes a few strong and clear statements that are written at the beginning of your resume. As a rule, this resume summary statement aims to highlight the most important competencies and qualifications that make you perfectly fit for the desired job vacancy. In other words, when you are writing a professional summary, you need to concisely formulate what strengths and talents you have for the job. Your potential employer will notice these competencies immediately as he/ she starts reading your summary for resume.
- Look through the sample of a resume career summary to understand what you are required to write:
- Professional communicator with more than ten years of experience related to advocacy in the educational field and the area of community development.
- Effective teaching, speaking, and facilitating skills for various general, professional, and student target audiences
- Broad involvement in multiple levels of program development, business and marketing, as well as establishing rapport
- Expertise in handling numerous projects while fitting in tight deadlines
As you see, the resume statement looks great if not to consider the fact that it takes up precious space with information that would have been otherwise included in the very text of your resume. So, here comes the question: do you have to choose whether to write a summary statements resume or not. Actually, there is no clear answer as it depends on the situation. A resume skills summary is best suited for those applicants who have more expertise and experience that can be united by a common theme. In other words, such competencies may be unified to reflect on unique experiences within specific fields, research areas, etc.
If you see that the summary example is right for your effective resume, be ready to delve deeper and conduct some introspection. Keep in mind that you have only a few bullet points, where you can reflect on your most important competencies, so make sure you do not cram unnecessary or irrelevant information. Remember that you are limited in space.
How to Create a Perfect Summary for Your Resume
Identify where you are heading
As it is vitally important to be succinct and logical, make sure you figure out in advance what you would like to do in your next position. Once you clarify this issue for yourself, it would be much easier to formulate exact experiences, talents, and skills that will make you fit perfectly for the vacancy. If you find it hard to envisage your duties and responsibilities clearly, ask yourself such questions:
- What skills and abilities of yours are most enjoyable for you?
- What attainments make you most proud of yourself and which of them can best reflect on your talents and abilities?
- What area or topic are you most passionate and enthusiastic about?
Conduct a thorough analysis of your target industry
Once you have figured out what you want to do, make sure to identify where exactly you would like to work. Make sure you see it clearly: the exact location (city, country, etc.), industry, company or whatsoever. Think as deeply as possible to see your position clearly and in details. Afterwards, conduct research on the industry or company and make sure to investigate what trends there are and how they affect the organization in particular or the whole industry. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What competencies, experiences, as well as hard and soft skills matter in your job sector?
- What characteristics and features are most valued in your desired position?
- What skills would you search for if you were a headhunter or a recruiter of this industry?
Figure out how well you fit in
Once you have gathered general information about your target industry, now it’s time to contemplate how well you will fit into it. Come up with the core points that make you better and unique in comparison with other potential candidates. Make sure to indicate some of the most important of your strengths into the resume. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are the most important selling factors?
- Will you be able to help the company solve some critical issues?
- Where do your desires and company’s needs intersect?
All in all, an expert summary statement can be a great branding tool that assists you in sending a screaming message why you are the best fitted for the job.