Many people dream of successful job search that ends up gaining a dream job position. Nonetheless, this process is never easy regardless of the number of times you have looked for a job previously. Even if a person is looking for his/ her fourth/ fifth position, it is natural that he/ she will be anxious, worried or overwhelmed with this process. If you do not know where to start with your job hunting, read on the article and get to know job search tips.
1. Remember that the job searching process can be considered as both a science and art. It requires specific strategy, ample preparation, and concentration.
2. Be aware that the job searching process can be a tiresome and time-consuming experience. Still, with a systematic approach, you will be able to go through all the stages in an easier and more manageable way.
3. Come up with a strategy relating to your transition from studying to work. Learn about potential obstacles that one may face when searching for the first workplace. If you have some other circumstances why you are searching for a job position, for example, if you have been resigned or you plan to leave the job because of your own reasons, you should adjust the job searching process as well.
4. If you do not have sufficient financial means to stay afloat or if you have not found an extra job option, do not hurry in leaving your current job (even if you really want to). Make sure you plan everything properly: realize that you might need to spend much time searching for a job after you resign. As such, you need to take care about your financial means to be secure.
5. In case you have been fired because of some company problems, make sure to take the reference list from your employer. If he/ she writes that you have been a successful and diligent worker but they had to dismiss you because of some budget cuts whatsoever, it will not deteriorate your reputation. When being asked for an interview, you will have to answer the question why you were fired.
6. Be prepared to share your story of job search, former work experience, educational background, etc. You need to be convincing when you provide justification why you need a new position.
7. Decide for yourself what job you want and what position you are eligible for. The process of job search will be easier if you know for sure what position you want to hold and what responsibilities to be involved in. Afterwards, you need to write a list of keywords that will be really help you find relevant positions when using job search engines.
8. Make sure you do not waste your time applying for positions that you have no required or sufficient qualifications for. Successful job search can be only when you devote your attention and spend your time and efforts on a position that you are eligible for.
9. When you search for a job, make sure you do not merely use titles in the searching process but also provide a more detailed job description, include responsibilities of a worker holding that position, etc. This activity will also help you in writing sample papers where you need to justify why it is important for you to occupy a certain position.
10. Outline your professional and personal priorities before you begin your job searching process. You need to be sure and confident in what you can offer in the position you get. When searching for a company, make sure you take into account the company’s location since you need to ensure the commuting time is acceptable for you. Also keep in mind you negotiate the salary in time. A successful job search also entails the process of searching benefits a company can offer. For instance, are you looking for a specific company culture? What kind of corporation do you prefer? Would you work in a large company or a small business? What team would you like to work in? Once you paint a clear picture of replies to those questions, it will be easier for you to write a resume and reflect on your soft and hard skills.
11. Brush up your online profiles on social networking sites. Many employers investigate personal profiles of their job candidates to have better and more in-depth understanding of the type of people they are. Therefore, it is recommended to keep much of your private information disclosed, especially when it comes to Twitter, Facebook, and others. Surely, your profile on LinkedIn should be open and updated according to the latest professional experience.
12. Engage in cover letter and resume writing. The resume should be impeccable in content: it should be properly organized, formatted, and edited before you send it to the job giver. Although it is harder to write a cover letter, make sure you personalize it to the position you are searching for. It is a wrong approach when you write one resume and cover letter and send it everywhere – you need to customize it to the position requirements of each company.
13. Provide references that will be decisive in whether you are invited for a job interview or not. Be aware that you need to practice your networking skills to be able to find trustworthy people who could provide a good reference letter for you in order to justify and prove your qualifications.
Once you have got acquainted with the job searching strategies, you can now move on with the actual process of searching for a job. You can use such sites as Indeed.com, CareerBuilder.com, Monster.com, and Dice.com among others. LinkedIn is also a good platform for job search. In case you are looking for a position in a specific company, feel free to visit its website and look through the job openings there.
On the whole, the job searching strategies can be divided into the following categories:
When you apply traditional methods, such as scanning publications, looking for advertisements.
When you come up with strategies to enhance your chances for an interview.
- Positive psychology approach:
When you do everything possible to enrich your knowledge and increase your chances of self-development in order to get a job.